At the moment I'm preparing for exams and since I've been busy most of this semester doing other things than Micro economics and Profit analysis, the days right now are quite intense.
However, I believe that when you have a lot of things to do, you actually get more things done!
The snow is far from gone up here in the north of Norway although we are approaching a seasonal change. It has been a fantastic ski season for me. I've had many special moments on the mountains this winter, moments to explore both the terrain, the techniques and my mind. I've learnt so much.
As a break from studies, I decided to share one of those moments.
![]() |
| November: most of the mountain still looking like a boulder field |
It was the first ski day of the season. My calendar showed 9 November 2013. A new winter was about to start and it was a fantastic feeling to put my skis back on after a long summer and autumn with climbing.
Skiing makes my heart go wild. The freedom and happiness I feel when skiing a beautiful line is so intense. It is almost like an addiction. Skiing boosts my energy and if I can combine it with a bit of climbing, I feel complete.
Gorm laughed at me and said I looked like a horse about to enter a green field of grass. I do believe he felt some of the enthusiasm too...
![]() |
| Gorm looking for snow between the rocks |
We had parked at Kattfjordeidet just outside of Tromsø on the Kvaløya island, Norway. The mountains were barely covered with snow and a couple of interesting couloirs, easily seen from the road, drew our attention. Could it be enough snow there?
Above the Arctic circle, the November days are short. We had no time to loose so we packed crampons, an ice axe each and fixed the skins under our skis. We headed in under the Peak 884, West of mountain Storsteinnestind.
People in Tromsø are eager skiers and literally jump into their ski boots as soon as it's white on the ground. As we came closer, we saw fresh tracks in one of the couloirs, the most visible one seen from the road and the one we had in our minds. Bummer.
![]() |
| The most visible line from the road (right) had already been skied, but the Rambo couloir shown under the arrow was fresh. |
The Rambo couloir
But luckily there was another option.
A neighbor couloir, steeper and more narrow to the left, showed no signs of previous visitors. We decided to give it a go. Later on I learnt that this couloir was named "Rambo".
![]() |
| Adventure skiing involves checking out new places: I had never been here before |
![]() |
| Hitting the sun rays on the climb up |
![]() |
| Gorm on the ascent |
As we approached the mountain, it looked more friendly and not as rocky and " black". With a gradient of around 40-45° and a perhaps some short steeper sections, Rambo welcomed us with open arms. At the top part, the sun was coloring the mountain orange and made us feel like entering a golden zone!
From the end of November until late January, the sun is away in the north and a day with sun in November is a precious gift.
Surrounded in beautiful light, we were alone on the mountain and about to ski for the first time this winter. Happiness! And I love the close connection you get to the elements when you know that it's only you, your partner and mother nature around.
![]() |
| The first turns the winter season 2013/2014 |
![]() |
| Gorm is enjoying Rambo powder in November |
![]() |
| Slowing down before the narrow section |
![]() |
| Skiing almost felt like diving into the frozen lake underneath |
![]() |
| Gorm releasing early season sluff |
![]() |
| Exiting Rambo with the Devils ridge in the back drop |
![]() |
| The first turns of the winter season marked the last turns in the sun of 2013! |
![]() |
| Back on the ice! |
![]() |
| Skiing out in the November sunset |
May 2014
The snow is melting outside, even up North. Looking back at these images makes me realize what a nice, long winter it has been. And still, the mountains are mostly white, and perfectly skiable just for a little longer ...
A new season often comes to me like a present. I usually welcome new seasons, being ready to see the mountains in a new dress. From skiing to rock climbing...But I'm not ready to put the skis away yet...!
May is a month of hard work for me. But there will be rewarding days in between.
And the midnight sun opens up for possibilities all day and night long.
We are entering a beautiful term.
And I can't wait to get outside.
![]() |
| Madeleine at 20h in the evening sun about a week ago. |
![]() |
| One of the best things about late spring, the days are long (sunshine at 18h and we've just started the tour)! |


















#1 Website Software Easy to Free Download
ReplyDeleteMovavi