There are numerous ski descents in Chamonix that have become more or less legendary in terms of adventure skiing. Several of those descents starts by taking the lift up to the Aiguille du Midi. From here, many continue down the south aspects, hidden behind the north faced mountains seen from the Chamonix centre and end somewhere on Mer de Glace. There are however some runs that will challenge most peoples perspectives. Visible from the Chamonix valley, these ski descents offer a terrain that from down below look quite incredible and simply wild. Glacier Rond is one of them.
![]() |
| Aiguille du Midi with the upper part of Glacier Rond, the hanging glacier to the right. Photo courtesy Webskirando |
To ski the Glacier Rond is as much about what takes place inside as about the actual skiing itself.
For the day I had teamed up with Mattias Johnsson, one of our good friends who lives in Chamonix since many years, Lene Pedersen, a Norwegian all-mountain enthousiast and skilled mountain rescuer who were in the valley for a couple of days and Gorm Gunleiksrud, my partner in life.
The Glacier Rond had been on my long time list of desired ski descents. It was also a descent that I had plenty of respect for. I knew its neighbor, the Cosmique couloir that also ends under the NW face of Midi, but in terms of commitment the Rond would require more.
![]() |
| Aig. du Midi with the Glacier Rond (3) and the exit couloir middle diagonally right ending on the Bosson glacier photo by Chamonixtopo.com |
When skiing on a hanging glacier, the exposure is important. Glacier Rond is famous for often providing various snow conditions and skiing in a complex mountain terrain. Still, it is one of the more sought after mountain descents, maybe because of its white appearance high up on Aiguille du Midi and the astounding reality that it is possible to ski from the top of it and all way down? If you are ready for the challenge...it is a committing run.
The thought about experiencing the Glacier Rond on skis was motivating but I had promised myself not to go there before I felt prepared, both mentally and physically. Now the time had come.
![]() |
| Carefully side stepping in to the Rond from the top |
We went up to Aiguille du Midi (3842m) and skied under the south face of Midi on the glacier in direction of the Cosmique hut and the old Simond refuge (3613m). From here starts the very popular climb "Cosmiques ridge" that takes you back to the lift on top of Aiguille du Midi. This is also the place from where you traverse out under the cables of the ancient cable car and to the top of the impressive NW facing Glacier Rond.
As I came over the snow ridge, a new world opened up under my skis. It was exactly the way I had imagined it to be! Big, bold and beautiful.
The snow was hard and partly icy at the top. We had to carefully side step down the first part of the ridge to avoid the icy spots. I held my axe in the hand, pushed it down in the snow to give balance and worked the edges into the snow.
![]() | |
| Mattias negotiating with the steep entrance ridge |
Handling the mind is the key to realization.
![]() |
| Happy to ski in the top of Rond with Chamonix far under |
![]() |
| Gorm getting closer to the col and the entrance to the exit couloir (in the sun) |
Why do we desire to commit to such experiences? I can only share my own thoughts about that and I am certain that the answers are highly personal for every individual.
I believe that mastering the elements of commitment, the personal mental challenges, the ski or climbing techniques and the mountain assessment it self, make you grow as a human in symbiosis with the environment. To feel mastering is a receipt that you have adopted knowledge.
I like the adventure and to challenge myself. The more I understand about the mountains and my skills, the more I learn about life...the better I get to know my inner strive and personal being.
And I love the scenery, I love being a part of that moment when the nature come so close, when I need to put all senses together, to focus completely and to be one with every movement, every thought. It gives me a strong sense of satisfaction and happiness.
![]() |
| After the top ridge, I enjoyed the good snow further down the Rond face, the Bosson glacier behind |
The continuing slope was nice, providing better and better snow as we skied down towards the junction to the exit couloir. I looked up towards the top of the Aiguille du Midi and the bridge. Some days ago we had stood up there peering down at the tracks on the glacier, curious about what it would be like skiing there. Now we knew.
![]() |
| Gorm skiing with the Aiguille du Midi top bridge far above and behind |
400 m down the white big face of the upper Glacier Rond, you ski out right onto a shoulder that is the start of the exit couloir that leads down onto the Bosson glacier. The snow was hard and required precise skiing, but it was easy to pass the bergshrund in the bottom. We skied between the crevasses and came under the mighty North face of Aiguille du Midi. The final strech took us all way down to Chamonix via a traverse towards the old Midi cable station and then down in the forest.
![]() |
| Lene Pedersen on the shoulder midways, ready to enter the exit couloir |
![]() |
| Lene mastering the hard snow in the exit couloir |
![]() |
| I'm approaching the Bosson Glacier |
2500 vertical meters later (meters from the top), we came out from the forest above the Mont Blanc tunnel, our legs burned. To ski down from Midi via Rond had been great experience. It had been an adventure as imagined and a descent that shall not be under estimated. We had a fantastic day out!
Don't rush into mountain dreams, be honest with yourself and take the time to prepare and get ready. When you are ready, the experience will be able to evolve you and make you stronger - and you will be able to enjoy. The conditions on the mountain are crucial but so is your attitude towards your ambition.
![]() |
| Mattias on the entrance ridge, demanding and partly icy place where you make sure to stay on the edges |
![]() |
| Gorm Gunleiksrud heading towards the Bosson glacier under |
![]() |
| Mattias Johnsson in the upper part of Rond |
![]() |
| A small lunch break after the top traverse |
![]() |
| Gorm enjoyed skiing the Glacier Rond and the beautiful view down the valley |
![]() |
| Me with the Aiguille du Midi bridge far above and behind |
![]() |
| Lene, Mattias and Gorm on top of the exit couloir with Rond upper face right and the Cunningham couloir behind left |
Thank you Gorm, Mattias and Lene for your company and for sharing the moment!
![]() |
| Lene skis out from the exit couloir and onto Bosson |




















Hi
ReplyDeletethanks for sharing this experience. Really well written and it made my heart go faster of excitement. I did the run 2002 and remember how tough it was, especially in the traverse in the begining because of the icy conditions at that time.
cheers Kristoffer from Sweden
Thank you Kristoffer :-) You're right, it is all about conditions. If it is icy the exposure feels even greater. In good grippy snow the experience changes. I've skied the Rond in both "bad" and good snow. The first was pretty scary while the good conditions made it just a dream!
ReplyDeleteIm following your blog!
ReplyDeleteAlways good to here other skiers describe fantastic runs:-)
Well written!
Ketil Augustson
Im following your blog!
ReplyDeleteAlways good to here other skiers describe fantastic runs:-)
Well written!
Ketil Augustson
My son Milton Falt (age 13), skid this incredible decent yesterday. Your article is very well written and its a full on run I understand. I hope its my turn next time.
ReplyDelete